Sunday, May 8, 2016

Fiona Kotur

Fiona Kotur's word should be generous. She is generous with her smile when you meet her, generous with her time when you talk to her, and she is also a generous sponsor of many charities in town. She is quick witted and has the kind of decisive intelligence that makes her super easy to work with.

I had the pleasure of helping out on a charity project Fiona is preparing for, the Hong Kong Adventist Hospital Foundation's upcoming Women of Hope celebration, and while spending time at her office I became a major fan of her bags and shoes. Fiona's designs are incredibly pretty but I have the sense that simply making pretty bags would not make her happy. This is a designer who knows her arts as well as her crafts, and is just as intrigued by ancient decorative techniques like cloisonné as she is by modern light installations by the late American artist Dan Flavin. It is that deeper interest in art that makes Kotur's bags uniquely beautiful.

After we finished the project, she gave me two pairs of sample shoes. I made a half-hearted attempt to say I couldn't possibly accept but by then I had already fallen madly in love with my newly dressed feet. I have always wanted to have a job where I'd get paid in shoes!

Click HERE to visit Kotur's official site - and while you're there do have a look at Fiona's mother's fashion illustrations - the love of art runs in the family.

From top to bottom
the Kaleidoscope Fitzgerald, find it HERE, and the Kaleidoscope Levin, find it HERE

The Guzel shoe in yellow (also comes in grey), find it HERE

The Babylon Evening Espey in Brocade Green, find it HERE

The Flavin clutch, getting ready for the Women of Hope lunch (for tickets and more information, click HERE).

The shoe boxes are works of art - I absolutely love how the illustration spills over onto the side of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment